In 1889, the St. Louis, Belleville, and Suburban Railway Company opened local trolley lines which took passengers to Walnut Hill Cemetery, Douglas Hill and West Belleville.
St. Clair County Courthouse
Henry Baumgarten Barbershop
Located at 26 South Illinois Street
On the Current Site of the Meredith Home Parking Lot
Photo Circa 1925
Early construction of Turner Hall
(corner of North First and West “A” Streets) – 1923
Architect Julius Floto is in white shirt in center of photo in front of the steam shovel.
The Belleville Post Office (built 1911) can be seen in the right background.
|Pictured is former Mayor Fred J. Kern shaking hands with Benjamin Afflec, President of Universal Portland Cement Co. Afflec, formerly of Belleville, was on hand for the dedication of Belleville’s Million Dollar Concrete Boulevard on October 24, 1917. It is believed that Mayor R. E. Duvall is standing at the right of Kern.|
Information from The Labor and History Museum and the Belleville Public Library.
© 2011-2013 Family Tree Helper All Rights Reserved