Charles Scotino/Sciortino was born on July 17, 1896 in Italy. It is difficult to pinpoint exactly where in Italy mainly because of the name he went by in America. It is more than likely that his name, Charles, is the Americanized version of his given name at birth. The common Italian name to the Americanized version of Charles would be Carlo, though even this could be a middle name that he went by. However, this is not where the naming issues end for Charles. While he goes by the last name Scotino throughout his life, on his death certificate, his name is listed as “Sciortino”. These variations of this last name are quite common and seen in many of the Scotino/Sciortino immigrants in coming to America. With all of these potential name changes, it is difficult to actually pinpoint where in Italy this Charles comes from.
Charles’ death certificate lists his parents names as “unknown” though we do have a clue as to at least a potential father’s name. While not necessary, most Italian immigrants continued to follow the traditional Italian naming conventions when naming their children. They are as follows:
- First male child: Named after the paternal grandfather
- Second male child: Named after the maternal grandfather
- First female child: Named after the paternal grandmother
- Second female child: Named after the maternal grandmother
- Subsequent children might have been named after an uncle/aunt, the parents, a deceased relative or a saint.
Given this information, and the consistency of Italian immigrants in continuing on the tradition after coming to America, a good guess would be that Charles’ fathers name was Franco as his first son’s name was Frank. This is merely speculation and not to be taken as fact.
Charles immigrated to America in 1920 and it would appear that he came straight to the St Louis area. In 1924, he married Anna Pellerito, a native of Missouri, in St Louis, Missouri. Over the next ten years, they went on to have four sons together:
By 1930, the family is renting a home in a building at 809 Washington Street in St Louis, Missouri, which is now the Renaissance St. Louis Grand Hotel. There are many other Italian families living in the building with them. At this time, Charles lists his occupation as a shoe worker in a shoe factory. It is also important to note that while Anna lists on Charles’ death certificate that Charles was part of the US military during WWI, this 1930 census and a lack of any records to support this claim make it unlikely. First, on this census, Charles’ year of immigration is listed as 1920 and he would then have not been in the US for WWI. It also specifically states that in 1930, he is not a veteran. It is possible that he participated in WWI but it seems unlikely that it was as a part in the US war effort.
By 1940, the family is now living at 815 Washington Street. In this census, we learn that the highest level of education that Charles completed was 2nd grade. He also lists that he has become a naturalized citizen of the US sometime between 1930 and 1940 though there are no records to be found that back this up and his death records list that he didn’t have a social security number. The census tells us that the family has lived at this address since at least 1935. He lists his occupation as a shoe repairer at a retail department store and says that he works 40 hours per week and made $1144.00 in 1939. This amount well surpasses most of the others listed on the census with the family.
Charles and Anna relocated and lived at 824 Cole Street which is now the St. Louis America’s Center. Charles began working for Wagner Electric where he was employed for the rest of his life.
On December 19, 1958, Charles passed away at Missouri Baptist Hospital. An autopsy was performed and the cause of death is listed as: Acute coronary occlusion, arteriosclerotic heart disease and pulmonary edema. Charles was buried at Calvary Cemetery in St. Louis, Missouri on December 22, 1958. His son Salvatore and his wife Anna were later buried with him.
Johann Michael Propst was born in 1712 in Bonnigheim, Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany (known as the Rhine Palatine part of Germany). He was the son of Hans Michael (b. 1686) and Barbara (b. 1681) Propst. He went by the name Michael throughout his life.
In 1733, at the age of 21, Michael came to America with his parents and sister Barbara. They traveled from Germany by way of Rotterdam and England on Captain Hugh Percy’s ship, “Samuel”. They arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on August 17, 1733 and the family settled in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.
On September 25, 1733, Michael married Anna Marie Keller in at the Muddy Creek Lutheran Church in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. The church is pictured here below.
They went on to have four children together:
In 1735, Michael purchased 153 acres of land from John Smoze in Lancaster County for the purchase price of 78 pounds. Michael listed his occupation as a tailor at the time.
In the delivery of their youngest son in 1738, both Michael’s wife and son died. Michael quickly remarried Maria Margaretha Corell on December 3, 1738 in New Holland, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. They went on to have four children together:
Following the birth of their youngest child, Michael’s wife died in 1745 during childbirth. Michael again quickly remarried in 1745 to Catherine Elizabeth (last name unknown). They went on to have eight children together:
In 1748, Michael and the family moved to Augusta County, Virginia (later renamed Pendleton County, Virginia and then later West Virginia). He purchased 110 acres along the South Fork near what became Propst’s Church. In 1749, he is recorded to entertain many Moravian missionaries from Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, in his home along the South Fork. There is speculation that he was in fact Moravian, though he was married in a Lutheran church and later founded the oldest Lutheran church in Pendleton County, West Virginia.
By 1750, Michael was listed as a tithable member of Augusta County, Virginia. In 1756, Michael founded the village that would become known as Propstburg and is listed as the road overseer. In 1758, he is also listed as a member of the Virginia Colonial Militia.
In 1761, Michael purchased 415 acres from seller Wood, Green and Russell near Brandywine, Pendleton County, West Virginia.
Michael was naturalized on May 18, 1762 in Staunton, Virginia.
In 1766, Michael purchased 60 acres on South Form Mountain and purchased another 72 acres in 1771.
In 1767, he was appointed a “Processioner” on the South Fork of the Potomac.
In 1769, Michael sold, for 5 shillings, 3 1/2 acres of his 415 acre tract in Propstburg for the building of the first Lutheran Church in West Virginia. Today, the third “Old Propst Church” stands on that site, along with the cemetery where Michael and his wife, Catherine, are buried. This marker is found on the side of the road on Route 21, two miles south of Brandywine, Pendleton County, West Virginia, near the church which is pictured to the right.
Michael was a soldier in the French & Indian War and was then exempted from the Revolutionary War in 1775.
One of the farmhouses on the Propst land is pictured here dating back to the late eighteenth century. It is the farmhouse of Noah Propst, a family member, and an example of the homes on the Propst land.
Michael died sometime between July and August of 1789 in Propstburg, Pendleton County, West Virginia. His will is dated Dec 19, 1785 and ensured that his lands stayed in the family. To date, the original Propst lands in Pendleton County still remains in the hands of Propst descendants and the local telephone books are full of Propsts. His will lists wife, Catherine Elizabeth and son, Henry Propst. Also listed are: Daniel Propst, Sophia Propst, a widow; eldest daughter, Catherine Barbara Propst; second daughter, Elizabeth, wife of John Cowger; youngest daughter, Mary Eve Propst; granddaughter, Elizabeth; sons, Leonard, Frederick, Michael, Henry; heirs of Daniel Propst.
Michael is buried in the Propstburg Lutheran Church Cemetery in Pendleton County, West Virginia. He has two headstones in the cemetery. The original stone says: “M.P. 1789″. A newer marker for John Michael Propst has been added in the churchyard laying beside the original marker of limestone or sandstone. The final picture is a view of the Propstburg Lutheran Church Cemetery as it exists today.
Leonard Propst, Sr. was born in 1737 in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. He was the second youngest of four children to parents Johann Michael Propst and Anna Marie Keller.
In 1760, Leonard married Mary Catherine Miller in Pendleton County, Virginia (now West Virginia). They went on to have five children together:
Leonard was a landowner in Pendleton County. As can be seen on the attached list of landowners and holdings, he owned a great deal of land and was surrounded by his siblings and children in the area. (Leonard’s holdings are listed under the name Leonard Propst, Sr.)
In 1801, Leonard died at Winfield Propst’s house near Propstburg, in Pendleton County, West Virginia.
George John Propst was born in 1770 in Pendleton County, Virginia which is now West Virginia. He was the middle child of five children born to parents Leonard Propst and Mary Catherine Miller. He went by the name John throughout his life.
In 1795, John married Evaline Mary Ficker in Pendleton County, Virginia. They went on to have nine children together:
John was a landholder in Virginia. It is unknown how much land he held overall, but by 1817, he owned 165 acres. His estate was referred to as Buffalo Run. His estate is in close proximity to that of many of his brothers. By 1818, he has sold off much of his land, most likely to his children given his age, and now only owns 30 acres now known as Brandywine Gap. (John’s property listings are the first and second from the top).
On February 23, 1853, John died and is presumed to be buried in the Propst Church Cemetery in Pendleton County, West Virginia along with many other family members, though there are several Propst Family cemeteries in the county.
George Propst was born in 1806 in North Carolina. He was one of six children born to parents George John Propst and Evaline Mary Ficker.
The family seems to have moved back and forth between North Carolina and Pendelton, Virginia (now West Virginia) as some of George’s siblings are both in each place.
They had moved to Cape Girardeau, Missouri some time in the 1920′s. On January 13, 1829, George married Hannah Crites in Cape Girardeau. (In the second document, their record is at the top of the second column)
Over the next twenty years, they had eight children together:
© 2011-2013 Family Tree Helper All Rights Reserved